Most word users have their preferred font. What may be preferred by one person may not be preferred by someone else. Different institutions, work, or schools may prefer people to use a specific font in their official documents. It may be difficult when you are not aware of the steps to permanently make these changes.
Microsoft word usually sets Calibri as the default font of any new word document. Sometimes, it may be what you do not like or prefer for your documents. Luckily enough, you can easily change the default settings of font to your preferred choice such that it applies to all future documents.
Steps to take when changing the font to Times New Roman
1. Open your new or an existing word document.
2. On the main menu ribbon, click on the home tab and locate the Font group.
3. On the Font group, click on the Font Dialog Box Launcher (the small arrow at the lower right corner) to display a dialog box.
4. In the Font dialog box, choose the font style and size you prefer for your word document. In our case, you will select the Times New Roman from the given options.
5. Click on the ‘Set as default option.
6. Next, select one given option: ‘This document only’ or ‘All documents based on the Normal template’ option.
7. Here, you will; select the option ‘All documents based on the Normal template.’
8. Lastly, click the OK button twice to save and apply the changes. If you close your word document and reopen it, Times New Roman should be set as your default font that will apply to all future documents.
What if the default changes have not been saved?
So, you have followed and applied all the above-mentioned steps only to realize the next time you open your word document, the default is not what you previously saved and it reverted to the original font. You may be wondering what exactly happened.
So, it may be due to permission settings or some add-ins that are interfering with your changes. To stop your font from reverting to the original one, here is what to do; check your permissions setting or turn off add-ins.
Sometimes you may be restricted from having to Write permission. If this is the case, you will have to contact the administrator of your company’s computer to assist you.
How to Turn off add-ins
1. Open your word document and click on the File tab > Options > Add-ins
2. In the Add-ins box, find the specific one you want to turn off listed in the Type column.
3. Select your add-in in the Manage list and click ‘Go.’
4. Uncheck all the boxes for the add-ins you want to turn off and select OK. Afterward, repeat all the above steps for any other add-ins.